Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Warship Models Underway
  News:
Last Website Update 9/16/2014 Click on the "New" tab below for details
The message board is brought to you through the kind support of Loyalhanna Dockyard Loyalhanna Dockyard
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister WMU Main Website New Bookstore Links  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fletcher 5 inch Gun Turret 1-125th scale (Read 570 times)
DD555

Warship Modeler

Fletcher 5 inch Gun Turret 1-125th scale
02/25/12 at 07:16:29

Hi,
I'm building a 1/125th scale Lindberg Fletcher. I am doing a lot of scratch building to correct many of the kit's flaws. I am looking for a set of the cast 5 inch turrets that Steve Brejnak was making. I would also like to purchase a set of props from Gordon Briggs. I have sent Gordon a couple of E-mails and he hasn't got back to me. Does anyone know if he is still making props? Also if anyone knows Steve Brejnak or how to contact him I would be really appreciate it †Smiley.

Thanks DD555

Currently in Shipyard:
USS Bennett DD-473
USS Haggard DD-555
1/24 PT-109
  IP Logged
William Blackmore

What does not kill
you makes you
stronger.

SC
Re: Fletcher 5 inch Gun Turret 1-125th scale
Reply #1 - 02/26/12 at 03:23:55

Hey there
Just my own opinion here. Dont waste your time with the cast resin turrets. Scratch-build them. DO get the Tom's Modelworks P.E. set, but be warned the 20mm guns are garbage and should be listed as 1/96th scale. WAY too big. All else on that set is pretty good, but requires a lot of adjustments. Not as well thought out as it should have been, but worth the cash. Do check out this build of the kit. VERY nice.
http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery/dd/dd-691/125-bd/bd-index.html
DO get the Fletcher class Anatomy of the Ship book. Some of the other stuff like the Metal fittings in that scale work pretty well, and can save some time, but for the amount of cleanup you will have to do, you can probably scratch-build them too. I just finished one a month or so ago, and it turned out better than it would have otherwise, but it took a lot of work just to get it to that point, and it is nowhere near accurate. I was just killing time. The build link above will take you to a fantastic model, but I really dont understand the amount of work he put into the kit. He bought a fiberglass hull, reworked all the superstructure parts, etc., etc.. He could have done the same job scratch-building the whole thing. I am just not sure what he accomplished by re-inventing the wheel, so to speak. Otherwise, ahev fun! Smiley
Cheers William

Ships:
USS Booklyn AC-3
USS Houston CA-30
HMS Victory
USS Maine AC-1
USS Arizona BB-39
USS Langley CV-1
USS Joseph Hewes FF-1078
HMCS Snowberry K-166
USCG Special Tender Redwood
USS Sea Tiger the Pink Submarine
CSS Alabama
WWW   IP Logged
DD555

Warship Modeler

Re: Fletcher 5 inch Gun Turret 1-125th scale
Reply #2 - 02/26/12 at 07:29:41

Thanks William,
Thanks for the link; I am very familiar with Bill Dunnís Mertz build. I am using the PE from Tom's. So far I have done major rework of the bridge deck, and the Mk-37 director. Also I scratched a new aft 40mm mount including the compartment it mounts on. I have shifted the pivot point on the kit 5 inch Turrets. I have 53 and 54 assembled and I sanded the kit detail off and I have sanded the radius on the corners from looking at pictures I found online.

I am currently out of work and have very little funds to spend on this build. Instead of spending money on the plan book you spoke of, I put the cash into the PE, and running gear. I have searched the internet and have found many images of WWII Fletchers.

Like you mentioned, my work is not exactly correct, but I'm doing my best and having fun (cutting and gluing myself) in the process. About the only thing I'm not going to do with this kit is scratch a hull, that's a little out of my league.
I will post some pictures in the near future. Thanks for the encouragement!!!!!!!!!!!!! Smiley Grin
Roger DD-555

Currently in Shipyard:
USS Bennett DD-473
USS Haggard DD-555
1/24 PT-109
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print